Under the banner program, the BID is responsible for reviewing banner designs, installing and removing banners, coordinating rotations of banners and ensuring quality control standards throughout downtown. The BID shall not be responsible for any theft, vandalism or weather damage that occurs on downtown street banners.
Banner applicants are responsible for requesting banner space, developing a design proposal, producing banners according to the BID specifications and paying all required costs and fees.
- Banners must encourage a positive image of downtown Spokane.
- Applicants must be, or associate with, a nonprofit organization.
- Banners may promote Citywide special events or activities open to the public.
- Banners may celebrate or draw attention to seasonal activities.
- Banners may promote a public awareness campaign.
Light poles on Post Street, Wall Street, Riverside, Main Ave, and Spokane Falls Blvd. are equipped for flags. Downtown Spokane will install flags for special events under the above criteria.
As per City Ordinance, street banners may not be advertising. To assure that the banners comply with City Ordinance, the Downtown Spokane Partnership requires pre-approval of design before banners are produced.
The fee for use of city poles is $20 per pole, which covers installation and removal of new and existing banners. Applicants are responsible for all costs related to the design, production, and delivery. At the aforementioned cost, banners will be displayed for four weeks prior to the event, depending on the needs of the applicant. Additional weeks may be available for an additional fee, depending on availability. All fees must be paid in full to the Downtown Spokane Business Improvement District.
- Placement of banners within any given zone will be under the sole discretion of the BID.
- Requesting organizations may request to hang banners in one or more zones on a first-come first-served basis.
- Banner location preferences are identified by the event organization; however, overlapping events may require coordination between organizations.
- It is preferred that special event banner promotions hang for a minimum of four weeks.
- New banner bracket locations may be selected; however, the cost for new brackets and their installation will be covered by the requesting organization.
- Click for zone map.
Reservations will be accepted up to one year but no less than one month in advance of the requested instillation date on a first-come, first served basis. Applicants can expect notification of approval/rejection/adjustments within 2 weeks of submittal. All applicants must submit a completed application and a nonrefundable deposit of $100 to secure the reservation. This deposit is applicable toward the total cost of installation.
Applicants must submit the design of banner at least one month prior to reservation date for approval, though it is preferred that design is submitted with the application. This requirement does not apply to applicants who have utilized the banner program in the past if the banner design has not changed. Applicants are strongly encouraged not to have banners produced prior to first approval.
Banners are intended to promote Downtown special events and not serve as an advertisement tool. Corporate sponsorship may be identified in text with a maximum size of 2 inches tall and only with the approval of the Downtown Spokane BID.
Street banners are viewed quickly or from a distance, therefore, the message needs to be conveyed rapidly. A small number of design elements, bright, contrasting colors, and large, clear typography are common elements of successful banner designs. The design of new and/or modified banners will require approval by Downtown Spokane prior to banner development.
Reoccurring event banners may not hang for more than five years (or 20 total weeks). Faded and torn banners will not be displayed and the requesting organization is responsible for re-placement.
Banners range in cost from about $100-400 per banner depending on how many colors are used, the design, materials, and quality. Lower quality banners will last for a shorter term through the weather, elements, and traffic.
- Screen Tek - Liberty Lake, 509-928-8322
- DiJulio Display - West Side, 800-321-9627
- Instant Sign Factory – Spokane, 509-456-3333
- Cassel Promotions – Spokane, 509-747-0062
- Designer Decal - Spokane 509-535-0267
To calculate the number of banners, add together the banners in approved Zones and add a minimum of two additional banners per Zone (for flags add an additional five).